Black Rice for Weight Loss?
Published: 11:40AM 22 March 2023
A common food in many different cuisines around the world, rice is a staple diet. There are many types of rice available, including brown rice, wild rice, black rice, and red rice, though white rice is the most prevalent.
Black rice offers a number of culinary and health benefits, despite the fact that all varieties differ in their flavors and nutritional content.
Nutritional Information for Black Rice
Black rice is a superfood and one of the most nutritious rice varieties. It contains more iron, protein, and fiber than traditional brown rice. It also contains anthocyanins, amino acids, flavonoids, healthy fatty acids, and other antioxidants, which contribute to its nutritional value.
The Advantages of Black Rice
Black rice is high in antioxidants that are both fat-soluble and water-soluble. According to studies, it has a variety of health benefits. The advantages of black rice include the following:
- Antioxidants in abundance
According to research, black rice contains the most antioxidants of any rice variety. Anthocyanin protects the body from oxidative stress. It also lowers the risk of Alzheimer's disease and certain types of cancer, such as breast and colorectal cancer. Other than anthocyanin, black rice contains 23 additional plant compounds with antioxidant properties, such as flavonoids and carotenoids.
2. Beneficial to the Eyes
Black rice contains vitamin E and carotenoids such as lutein and zeaxanthin, which are beneficial to eye health. It also protects against age-related vision loss, which can lead to blindness. Antioxidants also help to reduce the harmful effects of UV radiation on the eyes.
3. Enhances Liver Health
Fatty liver disease is caused by fat accumulation in the liver. According to research, the antioxidants in black rice benefit the liver by reducing fat deposition in liver cells. They also restore normal liver functions.
4. Body Detoxification
The high antioxidant content of black rice aids the body's elimination of harmful toxins. Its plant nutrients remove toxins and prevent the onset of several diseases associated with them.
5. Combats inflammation
According to studies, the antioxidants in black rice decrease inflammation and boost the production of anti-inflammatory compounds. It defends against cell damage caused by free radicals and fortifies the immune system. It also treats illnesses connected to persistent inflammations.
Weight Loss Advantages of Black Rice
Obesity and obesity-related disorders are protected by the black rice diet. According to studies, the dietary fibers in black rice keep you fuller for longer periods of time and help to reduce hunger. Black rice aids in weight loss by lowering calorie intake.
In addition, black rice lowers blood cholesterol levels. It inhibits the action of enzymes responsible for cholesterol production. It also aids in body weight loss.
For a successful weight loss program, combine a healthy amount of black rice with healthy low-fat ingredients. It is also suitable for celiac disease and gluten intolerance sufferers.
Black Rice in Diabetes
- Due to black rice's low glycemic index, its sugar is absorbed more gradually.2
- It delivers steady energy and prevents blood sugar peaks.
- By enhancing insulin sensitivity, aids in the management of Diabetes Mellitus.
- In contrast to being present in the blood, glucose is pushed into cells by black rice, which increases the activity of glucose transporters.
- It aids in blood glucose regulation.
- Additionally, the anthocyanins' starch-digesting enzymes stop glucose from being absorbed.
Though it is not widely available, black rice, also known as forbidden rice, is a healthier alternative to all other rice varieties. It's high in antioxidants, iron, fiber, and protein. The benefits of black rice include improved heart, liver, eye, and brain health. It also helps to lower blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglycerides.
People must take steps to lose weight because obesity and being overweight are common problems in today's society. Making dietary changes is a great place to start.
For instance, adding black rice to their diet may be advantageous as it can aid in weight management and the loss of extra pounds.
Jayti Shah is a Clinical Nutritionist with a master's degree in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics. She is a member of the Indian Dietetic Association (IDA). Over the last 9 years, she has helped 400 clients in their clinical and weight loss journeys. She works with SocialBoat as a nutrition consultant.
At SocialBoat, we offer custom diet plans and guided workouts to help you achieve your goals in a 360-degree approach. Our gamified experience ensures that you don’t find workouts boring and we reward you for being consistent with your efforts.
- Dewi Ratih Tirto Sari 1, Atchara Paemanee 2, Sittiruk Roytrakul 3, James Robert Ketudat Cairns 4, Anna Safitri 5, Fatchiyah Fatchiyah, 2021; Black rice cultivar from Java Island of Indonesia revealed genomic, proteomic, and anthocyanin nutritional value (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33676377/)
- Hye Won Kang 1, Won-Chul Lim 2, Jin-Kyu Lee 3, Jin-Nyoung Ho 4, Eun-Jeong Lim 5, Hong-Yon Cho, 2017; Germinated Waxy Black Rice Ameliorates Hyperglycemia and Dyslipidemia in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29093331/)